Thursday, May 6, 2010

Settling in...

If there's one thing having a job has given (other than a paycheck) it's a routine. We had already established somewhat of a routine here, taking the kids to school, parks, etc in the afternoon, home for dinner. But now that I have a job the routine has become even more set in stone and full of things to do. It goes a little something like this:
6:30- up (to the gym for a run a couple times a week)
7:30 make sure everyone else is up and getting ready, eating brekky, etc.
8:30- out the door, we all walk to the corner together and the Chris goes one way to work and we go the other way to school
9:00- kids school bell rings- it's an ACTUAL bell that the ring :) and I walk back toward our apartment and get into work by...
9:15- 3:15- work...fit every ad into the right time slot with the right audience, make sure we don't exceed 7 min of ad time, shows start within 3 second of the hour/half hour, etc
3:15 walk to pick up kids from school that gets out at...
3:00-6:00 sometimes we go across the street from school to Carlton Gardens, a big park with playground. Some days we go down further into the city to do some shopping. Some days we just go home and get things done: cleaning, laundry, homework.
6:00-7:00 dinner, depending on when Chris gets in.
7:00-8:00- play with dad, finish homework, showers.
8:00- kids in bed and we're off duty for the rest of the night!

On the weekends we try to do at least one fun, out of the house thing- There are still so many places we have yet to visit and weekends are really our only time to go. Chris has been rollerblading a lot and Caleb bought himself a new scooter, so sometimes they'll take off and Ellie and I will do something else. This past weekend we went to the Koorie Heritage Trust Cultural Center (Aboriginal history museum).
Most Saturday we go to Queen Victoria Market to buy our produce for the week. If we buy enough on Saturdays then it will usually last and I only have to grab a few things at the grocery store. We have an Aldi grocery store on the ground floor next to our building, so I usually just stop in there a few times a week. I only buy what I can carry in my 2 reusable grocery bags, so I have to go often, but that's not so bad since it's right there. I love having everything so close and not having to drive, but running multiple errands can be tough, especially with the kids in tow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Routines are everywhere across the world. Most look the same but its fun to see the changes in yours like Brekky and grocery shopping downstairs.

esherman10 said...

So how are you liking your new job? Sounds like you're still managing to get everything done!

allison said...

That is so cool. It would be so awesome to have everything so close and not have worry about driving in traffic.

Selene said...

Nice that you can work, even though you are a foreigner. I hear that's tough in the US sometimes.

Love the updates. I feel so cosmopolitan just knowing you.

Kate said...

I'm jealous of your job. Heels?! I would love to get out of my sneakers for a change.