Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Halloween

I never really finished this post, but if I don't just post it now it will sit in my drafts for another month, so there you go.

Because Ellie's birthday got seriously overshadowed this year as we were anxiously anticipating Truman's birth, we owed her a party. We had also told the kids when they first started at this new school that we should have a big party so that everyone could get to know them. So we ended up having a huge Halloween party last weekend. Both kids invited their whole school class, plus we invited a few other families that we are friends with. All together I think we had somewhere around 30+ kids and maybe 15 or 20 parents! Luckily the weather cooperated and the kids spent a lot of time outside. It was such a madhouse that I didn't get many pictures of the event, but luckily we took a few beforehand.

Dracula, zombie, witch, soldier, devil

Chris the zombie. I think our "retro" (okay it's just old) wallpaper and curtains were perfect for Halloween. And notice the picture frames, we replaced our family pics with scary ones!

Kids food:
mummy hot dogs, pumpkin muffins with cream cheese frosting and a candy corn (the kids insisted we get candy corns, which meant a trip to USA Foods- imported groceries), carrot sticks, apple slices and caramel, and since we ARE in Australia... vegimite sandwiches in Halloween shapes, party pies and sausage rolls 

adult food stashed away in the kitchen

I'm counting 29 kids in this picture, I'm sure there were probably a few more as well.

We decorated the living room and dining area with all the Halloween stuff we could find- It was a bit tricky in the beginning to find decorations, you have to go to the party stores to find anything. Halloween is not big here, although people keep telling me that it's catching on more and more each year. Chris did the playroom in backlights and had it decked out with some creepy stuff, complete with music/sound effects and fog.

Most of the kids hadn't ever been to a Halloween party, so I hope ours was a good intro to all the fun. We kept them entertained with a few activity stations: making ghost lollipops, decorating cookies, bob for apples, doughnuts on a string, and of course, stick your hand into the "medical experiment" (grapes and noodles). Lots of trampoline jumping, in the beginning there were ballons to pop, but they were gone pretty quickly.

I know, a little disturbing! People kept doing a double take, thinking it was Truman with a mask (like any 2 month old would keep a mask on)

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

Looks like fun. Wish I was there.

Anonymous said...

So fun! And the baby thing does freak me out.

Dee said...

Wow! Looks like you guys had a blast and I love your costumes and party decorations. Have a great weekend.