Thursday, January 19, 2012

New Zealand part 1

Wow- just got back from an amazing vacation with the family, plus bro and sister in law, Pat and Marli. We had a great time, minus a few hiccups, and then needed about a week to recover from all the fun!
We spent a few days here in Melbourne seeing the sights and showing Pat and Marli some actual wild kangaroos (look- she has a little joey in her pouch!)

and some not so wild koalas on Phillip Island. Which they soon learned are cute, but pretty lazy/boring :)

Also spent an afternoon at one of our favorite beaches, where we boogie boarded till the waves got too crazy and I got completely trashed by a big wave.

Had a little trouble getting Truman out of Australia since his visa hasn't been added to ours yet. They got us cleared though, just as the gate was closing, so we made it. Then we were off to New Zealand, the "land of the the long white cloud". I don't really know what that means, but it is sticking in my head. I must have read it in a travel brochure. Okay, I just looked it up- it's the Maori name for NZ. Overall thoughts, amazingly beautiful. More mountains, lakes and waterfalls than I have seen in my life.
We stayed in Queenstown for the majority of the trip, which is a gorgeous tourist/backpackers town up in the mountains with tons of extreme activities to keep visitors busy. Queenstown is hailed as the birthplace of bungy jumping, so if we were ever going to do it, this was the place.


We rode the gondola 400m up the mountain and jumped over the city. Terrifying doesn't even begin to describe it. You spend your whole life avoiding a free fall off the side of a cliff, then all of a sudden you are supposed to willingly jump? It just felt wrong.


 I probably won't ever do it again, but I'm glad I went once. They also had a bungy swing, which didn't seem quite as terrifying, I'd probably do that, but skip the bungy next time- It was just too much!
If you want to see my embarrassingly terrified jump, where the guy pretty much pushed me off the ledge, go here.




The kids did the luge ride- like mario kart, but in real life (at least that's how we described it). Sorry, no pics from that one, but they loved it! Chris and Ellie were the only ones brave enough to take a dip in the icy Lake Wakatipu water. Good for them, not my idea of fun although it was a gorgeous, clear lake and a nice warm day.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome vacation! New Zealand is at the top of our list for places to go. I can't believe you bungee jumped! Crazy!