Thursday, May 16, 2013

Get it together.

My project for next week is to get it together. By "it" I mean my job. And by "my job" I mean staying at home with my kiddos. Chris and I have gotten much better at budgeting this year, I like the concept of knowing how much money there is to spend and where it' all going. Not that I couldn't do about 50% better. Still, we're getting there.

Money is OUR thing, but then there are MY things. Groan. I'm good with getting everyone fed and where they need to be. But there is not a ton of planning. I'm usually 5 minutes from needing to leave somewhere and I'm shouting at everyone to get their teeth brushed and shoes on. "Does anyone need to pee? Cause I am not finding a bathroom in the middle of ..... wherever we're headed. I'm also notorious for forgetting to ask about homework until bedtime. Then of course I'm mad that it's not done already. Speaking of last minute.... What's for dinner? At 4:30pm. Every day. Hey, at least I think about it an hour before people start asking for food. But it's still not quite considered well-thought out when you're grabbing stuff from the freezer/pantry and going "what could I make with this in less than an hour?"

And then there's cleaning. Things that get me cleaning:
"What smells?"
"I don't have a clean school uniform"
When I get a glimpse of our socks that are grungy from, well, walking around on my dirty floor.
Or, of course, if someone is coming over.

So this next week, or 2 weeks, or maybe this month, or for sure by the time I leave for our big U.S. trip mid-June, I'm going to figure out some stuff. A little more organization in my life will be a good thing. I know because while Chris was away for 2 weeks I organized my pantry and it makes me happy every time I look at it.



Obviously, that's just my little pantry where the baking stuff lives. My big pantry is better than it used to be, but I'm still not going to show anyone else. Unless you are at my house cooking with me, then you can see it.
It's proof though that getting more organized is a good thing:

Schedules (mine and the kids, including homework, activities, etc). This one is tricky because I like enough flexibility that we can be spontaneous and I also HATE nagging, I'm going to have to think about how to do it.

Cleaning- just need some kind of routine, rather than waiting till it absolutely HAS to be done.

Cooking- maybe weekly meal planning? just before a weekly shopping trip?

I know this all seems pretty obvious, but it's time to make a plan and stick to it.
Over and out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great idea to me! I need to work on planning meals out earlier for sure too!