So we finally got a really warm day on New Years Eve, like 85 degrees warm, so we packed up and headed to the beach (I should be honest and mention that we headed to the beach AFTER Chris and I slept in till almost noon! Heaven.)
Because Melbourne is at the north end of the bay, all of our close beaches are bay ones, so no huge rolling waves, surfing or anything. St. Kilda is our favorite because it's right on the tram line and a straight 20 min ride to get there. This particular day was quite windy, so the waves seemed a bit bigger than normal (to the kids at least) and they had a blast playing in the water. They'd walk out as far as they could and then let the waves carry them back. They are getting so big. As Chris and I sat on the beach watching them I kept getting nervous and saying they were too far, but the did just fine and stayed out in the water most of the day.
Such a nice day, probably in large part due to the fact that this was our first real beach day of the summer. We've been really surpised at how long it has taken the weather to truly feel summery. And it seems fleeting even now, most days we end up with a high of about 75, which is beautiful, but hardly summer. I just keep reminding myself of the days last January when it was so blazing hot, that I'd be wishing it was 75!
On our way back home we stopped at NYPD- New York Pizza Deli. Best Pizza in Melbourne. Actually let me change that- it's the best American-style pizza in Melbourne. We do have a favorite place for real Italian-style pizza right here in the city. But there something about walking up and order a slice to eat as you sit on the benches outside or walk around St. Kilda.
As we headed back into the city we only made it to the southern-most edge of the CBD because all traffic (including the tram we were on) had to stop because the roads were all closed off for the big New Years Eve Party. It was about 9pm by now so things were already in full swing party mode down at Federation Square. We walked through and checked out some of the fun and pre-fireworks shows. Of course the kids were pretty exhausted at that point so we headed home, walking the 5 blocks home since there weren't any trams runinng and stopping for gelato (and a sushi for Ellie). Unbelievably they both managed to stay awake till the fireworks- I'm so glad we went home because we had the BEST view. Here are a couple of horrible pictures, but at least they give you an idea of how cool it was.
This first one was straight out of our balcony we could see the big show down by the river and federation Square as well as all the one they lit from the top of the 6 or 7 tallest buildings.
Then this was out to our right side, over the bay- even closer and more amazing!
And yes, Chris and I slept good and long the next morning- but those crazy kids of ours were up at 6:30am!








5 comments:
What an awesome view! So pretty.
The fireworks, Amazing! It like what you see on TV not in person. The sleeping in, wow. Sounds like a great New Year's.
So is the pizza really that good? We searched one day and didn't see it, but spotted it another time and just haven't gone back. Perhaps we'll have to try it. Love the fireworks!
I am so jealous it is summer there...we've pretty much decided that when it's all said and done, we need to live somewhere where it's summer all year long :) The forework pics are amazing! You guys always seem to be taking advantage of all your adventures offer.
Wow! Amazing New year's in the sun and those fireworks and pictures of the city are breathtaking. Love the family pictures. And can I just say that you are one of the only people I have seen go red so beautifully!
Post a Comment