.jpg)

So I have tons of things to post about. Namely, my sister Carrie's wedding and Christmas. But let me just start with an update (and recap for those of you that have NOT heard the story) on Caleb's accident.
On Christmas afternoon Chris took Caleb an some of the cousins out sledding at my parents house in Missouri. We were pretty excited to have a white Christmas for once. Well he had rigged up a really fun way to pull them around by tying the snow tube to the 4-wheeler and pulling them around on it. It really was fun, we all took turns riding and Chris was being very careful. Caleb was riding with his cousin and as Chris slowed down they flipped over. His cousin got up and brushed it off, but Caleb was reallyhurt, he said it was his knee and couldn't walk or anything. They broght him in and after 30 min. we decided we better take him to the ER for some x-rays. Calb is not one to exagerrate pain, so I knew he was really hurting. A bunch of people were crowded around him and he whispered to me that I could stay by him, because he liked 1 person to be with him "not like, 3 or 8." Poor baby!
Anyway we took him 45 minutes away to the hospital and had his knee x-rayed, nothing broken. But he would not let anyone even touch him. So the doctor kept trying to figure out what had happened and decided to x-ray the femur because he would cry when he touched just above he knee as well... nothing broken there either. They gave us some pain meds and told us he'd probably be up and around in a couple days.
We waited an extra day before driving home and then decided to head out. The drive wasn't too bad beacause even though he couldn't walk, once he was comfortable in the car he was okay. Well we made it home and went to see our pediatrician the next morning (since it had been nearly 4 days and he still couldn't walk).
Well he didn't trust the ER doc and wanted new x-rays... not of the knee, but of the hip! Apparently in kids hip pain usually manifests itself in the knee. Who knew? So that day we went to get x-rays which showed that his left hip was not seated properly into the hip joint. Then we went to see a pediatric orthopedic surgeon, who though that it had probably been disloacted and then popped back into place, but he ordered an MRI to see what was blocking it from its proper position. Caleb was a brave liitle trooper. He was mostly mad that he couldn't eat. They called us right as we were ordering lunch and told us that he culdn't have anything to eat till after the MRI which ended at 10pm!
The next day we took Caleb into Dell Children's Hospital (which rocks by the way!) for a minor, non-invasive surgery. The plan was to drain the fluid from his joint and then see if the hip will properly seat itself. The backup plan was to put on a full body cast and/or open joint surgery to remove whatever is blocking the joint. Thank goodness it did not come to that! Once they draind it and took more x-rays everything seemed to be in place. They gave him laughing gas before even putting the IV in, so when he realized that he got a shot during the surgery and didn't even feel it, he said "Oh, I wish I would have had 10 pokes then... that would have been great!"
He is doing much better now, scooting himself around on his bum and dragging hmself around likem a seal. I have a feeling if we took the knee brace of and told him he was allowed to walk he'd probably do it! But the doc wants him to stay off it for a while and is plannig on giving him crutches on Monday. Whew! What a week!
11 comments:
Whew! What a terrible thing for you poor little guy. Hope everything works out well and he's up and running soon.
Poor Caleb! That's not a fun way to end Christmas or a vacation...hope he's feeling better and is up and around again soon. Fun to have a white Christmas, though!
Geez! I hate stuff like that! Stupid ER doctor...I'm glad you figured it all out, though, and that he didn't have to have a full-body cast! Poor Caleb...hope he feels better soon!
I just saw him at the church (he was at meet-your-teacher, I was cleaning the church). Such a brave boy. I asked him if it hurt and he said "no." I hope he's up and around soon.
Oh wow~what an ordeal! I swear with my experience with drs, I always want a second opinion. Caleb is a trooper though. What a tough kid!
Poor kid!!!! I hope he makes a speedy recover!
Poor little guy! Sorry to hear about his accident. I hope he is doing better and that you guys had a Merry Christmas besides that.
Wow! What trauma! I was excited to find your blog on facebook! We have one too: mikeandemilydeardeuff.blogspot.com
He is such a trooper! That is crazy! I am so glad he is doing better! My sister just had to take her 2 year old in to the er this morning and he was complaining of his knee and wouldn't walk but nothing had happened. The dr. looked at his hip because he said, a lot of times hip pain will shoot down to their knee as well so they think it is their knee. Same! Anyway, he just had fluid built up from a virus that will just drain itself. But I was having dejavu!
We're thinking of you guys. When Chris recounted it, he added a big "POP" to the leg going back in place and it was sort of like a big cringe on my end. But It's good to see his picture and know he's on the mend.
Poor little guy!!!!!! How sad. He sounded so brave through it all. Way to go on the pediatrician spotting the real problem. Amazing what they can do if they just take the time to care eh? I am so glad Caleb is doing better though!
I miss ya girlie. I havent seen you in forever!
Post a Comment