Friday, April 2, 2010

New Apartment and other stuff

Well we've moved! We're in a "permanent" place with a lease and everything! We moved in a couple weeks ago, but a lot has been going on and it took us that long to get it furnished and functional. But now we're in, we're settled and we've already had a visitor. Eleisha came to visit this week so we have been crazy busy showing her how awesome Australia is :) All that fun is about 10 separate posts, so for now I'll take you on the grand tour.

Walk into our building, dang, I forgot a picture of the front lobby. It's pretty nice- white marble with a big fountain in the center. Next, jump on the elevator, up 27 floors.
You enter our apartment into the kitchen- you can see the door on the right side.
Yes, that's our tiny refrigerator. Most places here in the city have a small "european-style" fridge. It works out because I can't carry that many groceries anyway, so it's okay that there's not a place to put tons of food. I usually do most of my shopping at Queen Victoria Market, because it's like a block away and has fresh, locally grown produce for dirt cheap!

Next is our family room, here they call it a lounge. That's our nice couch from Costco that cost me an extra $150 for delivery, a fight with the Costco people (they were giving me a hard time about releasing my stuff to the delivery guys), and another fight with the building manager (apparently you can't move large items in after 4pm) which resulted in a $100 fee just so we could get the dang thing into our apartment.
Outside the glass doors is our lovely balcony with its lovely view. We also have a nice view of the construction across the street, but I left that out of the picture.
And if you're afraid of heights, don't look down!
Finally we have 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Here's our room, just enough space for the bed :) But luckily we have a pretty decent sized closet.
The kids just cleaned their room, so now I can add a picture of that too.

So that is the end of the tour- it's little but the location is awesome! We can still walk to school and work and there's a tram stop outside our door.

In other news, I turned.... 29, again.
We celebrated over the weekend. We went to my favorite Asian place for dinner and got some yummy Malaysian laksa. Chris and the kids chose a delicious chocolate mousse cake that we devoured over the next 2 days.  I also got a super nice tennis racket for my gift. We have a tennis court on the 7th floor (as well as a gym, pool, cinema room) and I've been wanting to start playing, so now I can!

Next news, I'm now a redhead. I thought I'd try it out for a change.

I have lots of other pictures and things to post about, but that'll have to wait for another night.

8 comments:

Selene said...

So awesome! Looks like you're living it up.

Anonymous said...

OHHH, love the hair! You look great! And Happy 1st anniversary of your 29th birthday! Have fun at your new place!

Lyndsee Bates said...

I love it Rachel it looks like you've settled in a bit. Wish we could come visit!! Your hair looks amazing as well!!! Much Love!!!

Aubrey said...

Cute red hair. Your new place sounds great. Totally jealous of the gym in the building. Can't wait for the post about Eleisha's visit.

Unknown said...

Rachel! You look so cute with RED hair! What a fun change! And I actually thought about you on your birthday...and wished I could at least text you...but you're on the other side of the world! I'm excited to turn 29 again, too...for the rest of my life! Can't wait to hear about Eleisha's visit. So jealous! Looks like you're adjusting well! Cute place.

Halli Matheny said...

I love your hair! Your apartment is great too! What a fun adventure. Happy belated birthday! We miss you.

Camille Kerr said...

Feeling a little more at home now that you have furniture? Looks nice. And how fun to have Eleisha come visit!

MaryAnn said...

Nice place and fun hair! I think you can pull of red. I am glad you are enjoying your adventure in Australia.